Stopping smoking is one of the best things you will ever do for your health.
When you stop, you give your lungs the chance to repair and you will be able to breathe easier. There are lots of other benefits too – and they start almost immediately.
It's never too late to quit. Let's do this!
- Smoking is the most common preventable cause of death in the UK
- In England 14.9% of adults smoke
- In the North East 16.9% of adults smoke (363,000)
- Over 73,000 people in England die prematurely from a smoking-related disease a year
- 15 people a day die in the North East from a smoking-related disease
- 1 in every 2 long-term smokers is killed prematurely by tobacco
- The annual cost of smoking to the NHS in the North East is £127.5 million
- Evidence shows Vaping is 95% safer than smoking cigarettes
Ways to quit
Many people try to quit smoking with willpower alone, but it's much easier to go smoke-free with the right help. There are lots of support options available, try a combination that works for you.
Did you know?
Stopping smoking not only improves your physical health but also is proven to boost your mental health and wellbeing. Quitting can improve mood, and help relieve stress, anxiety and depression.
You will also see a huge improvement in your bank balance, which everyone is looking for at the moment as the cost of living continues to rise. See how much you could save through quitting with this quit calculator here.
You have made a great decision to give up smoking. Here are some tips to help you succeed.
Once you have picked your quit date, remember to add it to your calendar.
- List your reasons to quit.
- Tell people you're quitting.
- If you have tried to quit before, remember what worked.
- Use stop smoking aids.
- Have a plan if you are tempted to smoke.
- List your smoking triggers and how to avoid them.
- Keep cravings at bay by keeping busy.
- Exercise away the urge.
- Join the Facebook group for support and advice.
Good luck. Throw away all your cigarettes before you start. Remember, there is never "just 1 cigarette". You can do it!
For more info on smoking go to Fresh NE: click here